Wednesday 2 February 2011

New pin - but same result

Well another week and the blanking continues -  I only managed to get about four hours over 2 sessions so you could say that's part of the reason although it could also be argued that you only need a minute in the right spot to catch a fish !

I received delivery of my first centre pin reel this week so just couldn't wait till the weekend to try it. With some time this afternoon free I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours on the dove to try it out trotting for a nice winter grayling. 


After about an hour of frustrating casts, I'd just about managed to stop the terminal tackle tangling into patterns only explained by chaos theory ! I found the best method for me was to cast by grabbing line from between the first three eyes then side cast and release the line as normal.  This was enough to get the float half way across the river to run along a nice crease down to where the fish could be seen occasionally showing on the surface.



After about ten minutes I even connected with a fish, only for it to shed the hook shortly after, as grayling are prone to do.  That was to be the only take of the session, but I certainly didn't feel down, blank or not, I'd got to grips with the new pin and found it to be a joy to use.  The casting still needs work but it's surprising how quickly you can adjust to a new style.





 I also fished on the previous Sunday morning for a very quick session from dawn, before rushing home for 10:30am to take the kids swimming. I fished a small pool in the hope of one of the pike that inhabit it. There are a number of jacks but also some better fish to double figures in here, not that any were willing to put in an appearance.

waiting ... in vain
 It's February now and the first signs of spring are appearing in the form of buds on the trees and bulbs like daffodil are sprouting, well on their way to flowering.  The fish will be packing on some weight now in preparation for their spawning season, I just hope I can shake off my current run of blanks and quick so I can capitalise before the river season ends !

8 comments:

  1. I remember when I got my new pin last year Lee, it's a great feeling. Anticipation and then frustration! Still, it's good when it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that one of the TFG pins Lee? Looks quality. Nothing better for trotting once you stop having tangles all the time is there?

    You have many other pleasures to come yet, like hooking a carp at close range that then heads for the horizon! You are actually in control of the situation unlike with a fixed spool where you are at the mercy of the clutch settings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well kind of - it's one of the Marco Cortesi signature pins. At £30 I finally bit the bullet and joined the pin club. They're exactly the same as the TFG aparently ? just different branding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Casting with a centrepin can be a faff at the start Lee but stick at it, the rewards of the line control and the fight make it all worth while.

    Stick with mono rather than braid on the spool until you have the hang of it as mono is much easier to cast.

    Also learn to know when not to use a pin, like when a massive cast or really heavy terminal tackle are required, that way you won't get frustrated with it.

    Margin fishing for carp, float fishing for tench and trotting or trundling something down a river are all made for a centrepin.

    Here's hoping you christen it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Won't be too long hopefully Keith.

    I've already discovered your casting distance is greatly limited, so like you say it's all about 'horses for courses' with a pin.

    Cheers for the encouragement chaps - I'll be on that score sheet soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not necessarily distance limited Lee as youy can quickly get proficient enough to cast across a river or canal say, but direction is strictly limited as the cast can only be made certain ways, for instance wallis casting is nigh impossible right to left unless you are a southpaw, or ambidextrous in which case you'd have to turn the reel around and wind the line on backwards! Or have two rods, one for left one for right!

    If you want to learn Wallis casting then I'll show you how, if you'd like?

    It's a pig of a thing to learn from books or videos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. .. but feels almost as good as a fish when it goes out right.

    I liken a good cast with a centrepin to a tricky chip and run in golf, or a delicate drop shot in badminton, or a pass through the eye of a needle in football.

    It takes skill, and it doesn't always work out, but when it does it makes you smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good choice of pin Lee, i got one myself just before Xmas, great bit of kit for the price without a doubt. I too am still getting used to it although ive been lucky enough to actually land something with mine and playing fish on a pin is awesome mate.

    ReplyDelete